Distracted

8:00 PM

Today I like the idea of writing; all the inspired words pouring out in a torrent, overwhelming me, and developing my characters and plot so quickly that I can hardly keep up. Awesome. My head is so full of ideas, all clamoring for attention and shrieking at the top of their lungs to get out. It would be the easiest thing for me to just sit down, open up an empty document, and let it all tumble free.

Right? I'm feeling inspired, aren't I? This should be easy.

But wait. There's so many things on my "to-do" list today. So many important things. Now that I think about it, I'm really pressed for time.

I can do this. I sit down and shut my "thinking" brain off. I open the story document. (That's a good girl, Amanda! You can do it!) I write a few sentences. Darn, I forgot to switch that load of laundry. Mum really wants to put in another wash. I should get up and switch it so she'll be happy, and I'll be a good daughter, and all will be right with the world.

Yeah, I am superwoman. Look at me, getting stuff done!

I sit back down. I really haven't checked my email in a while. And I'm expecting an email about my nannying schedule this week. It won't hurt to take a quick peek.

A few quick peeks later, I am back on the document, typing away. Ahh... I think it's coming together now. I haven't been distracted from my writing in a while. Yeah, it's nice not to be distracted. You know, I should really check all the other things I have on my "to-do" list, so that when I finish writing I can jump right into the next thing. That way I'll be way more productive.

Ok, so I rearranged my whole "to-do" list. That was satisfying. Back to my story!

I wonder if I would feel more inspired if I was listening to some music. I jump onto Cinemix.us or open it in iTunes. Ahh... this is much better. Listening to soundtracks is inspiring without being distracting. Wait, this song sounds familiar. Could it be composed by Rachel Portman? I take a peek. Oh yes, I am so smart. I'd recognize an opening title by Rachel Portman anywhere.

Alright then, MUST FOCUS. I won't check any more of the music titles, even the ones that sound familiar, and I'm sure would bring up some glorious childhood memory, and remind me of that fabulous movie that I really should show my little sisters some time. Write. Write. Write.

I wonder what the Olympic medal count is. U.S.A. had better have the most gold medals or my siblings are going to be ticked. Now that I think of it, I haven't checked ANY of the latest news in a while. It's been like a whole day since I saw what was happening in the world. Maybe just a quick peek at Google News... just to read the Entertainment column, anyway.

NO. Must write. Nothing else. Write. Write. Write.

Ok, so if I write 200 more words without stopping, I'll reward myself by checking the Google News page. Ok? Ok. Write. Write. Write.

YAY! I made it. Now I can go and see what's going on in the world!

Bleh. Nothing interesting. I can't believe that movie made that much money. This is ridiculous.

Ok, back to writing. Write. Write. Wri- Oh wait, I am definitely out of time for today. I've got to practice voice and answer a couple of important emails before I run out to of the house to pick up the kids I watch. Priorities. Right.

Bye bye, half-filled page of words! I'll deal with you tomorrow.

Sincerely,
Amanda
___________________________________________

This is me on almost every day of the week.

What distracts YOU while writing? How do you overcome it (or do you just give in)? Please, chime in so that I don't feel like the only loser here. ;)

You Might Also Like

8 comments